Tuesday, August 23, 2011
I’ve just finished transferring this site to a new host, owned and operated solely by me (and Linode, that I’m renting the server from). Previously, I was using space generously donated by Ashelia over at hellmode.com, but unfortunately I couldn’t configure things to work quite how I wanted without sabotaging the other sites I was sharing the space with. So, time to strike out on my own!
In the process, I also put in the time to improve the appearance of the site, including actually putting a logo at the top. I’m quite fond of the little iron spirit. I think he needs a name, though I haven’t decided on one yet. Suggestions are welcome.
I also finally have e-mail attached to this domain. So I can be contacted at contact, admin, webmaster, mike, michael and mpowell, @spiritofiron.com, @spiritofiron.org and @spiritofiron.net. I like to be thorough. But for now, I’m mostly advertising email@example.com.
Friday, August 19, 2011
Given the small burst of traffic I’m receiving after tweeting this URL at Notch, and the fact that I haven’t posted anything since March, I figured I should provide a progress update.
First of all: It’s still alive, though progress slowed for a bit, and it’s direction has now shifted slightly.
The big thing that happened is I got a new job. This job didn’t take up more time. Quite the opposite. It cut 2 hours of commuting out of my schedule. However, it also introduced me to the wonders of Test Driven Development, and all sorts of other good practices, which I hadn’t previously been exposed to. I spent close to two months exploring that and other related subjects, not wanting to dive too deep into my code for fear that my approaches would all be invalidated by what I learned next.
I finally reached a point where I felt ready to dive back in. However, in the interim, I’d gotten really excited about some of the simpler things I could do on the other end of the game, the actual down-in-the-world portion. So, I decided to take a two-pronged approach to developing the final product.
On one end, I build a detailed world generator, which is the project I’ve been working on that you see up here.
On the other end, I build a bunch of the gameplay in a small world using a relatively simple terrain generation algorithm.
So for now, I’m focusing on the gameplay side. And the game is currently tentatively titled Fire & Stone, though I reserve the right to change my mind on that. I’ll post a demo of that up here as soon as I have something sufficiently usable.
Edit: Also added a long-overdue screenshots page, after three separate friends and family independently suggested it in the space of about 5 minutes.